Tuesday, April 2, 2019

My Digital Footwork

My digital footprint is pretty big because of the spotlight my family has been put in. In the sports world of basketball my dad has a name. As for myself I am his son playing basketball at a division 1 school so I have also been a name searched. Searching my name just by itself I pop up with a little bio and a few websites. If I were to put my name and basketball following it a bunch of pictures pop up followed by articles written.

Non of my digital footprint is online because of what I have put out there. Most of what is out there about is found out through them searching my dad, my high school, and even High Point University.

To go in deeper on this topic of privacy, I want to say what is the big deal? Many of peoples lives are put out there on social media because of there on their own. All these people want attention and put themselves put there and acted shocked when something bad happens.

Another issue I have was with the 14 year old writing about how she stopped using social media. She was embarrassed by what her mom and sister had posted about her. Of course she is, she is 14 years old! She doesn't understand how insignificant an embarrassing picture on Facebook or wherever is. I have seen people rip my dad apart on the internet and even my mom for nothing other than not fulfilling expectations. As a family we laugh about what those people say bad about them or us because it doesn't matter. For some reason that 14 year old girl's article hit my nerves. She felt "betrayed' because her MOM posted "embarrassing" pictures of her when she was younger. Betrayed is when your spouse cheats on you or someone does something earth shattering behind your back, not your mom posting embarrassing childhood photos of you. Im sorry, but there are people being drug through the mud on social media a lot harder than she was or will be.

The last thing I have to say is, if you don't want everyone to know then don't post it. If you only want your friends to see something that's fine, but don't acted shocked when the world get ahold of it. Use social media responsibility getting attention for a certain amount of time is not worth ruining your whole life.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90315706/kids-parents-social-media-sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment